The tasks of the International Cooperation Bureau include coordinating and monitoring international cooperation of the provincial self-government with the structures of regional self-government in other countries and with international entities, regional associations and international networks, initiating international contacts between entities and institutions from the province and foreign partners, organisational and content-related supervision of preparation and organisation of foreign visits of representatives of the province's self-government and visits of representatives of partner self-governments and foreign institutions in Greater Poland, taking care of the public image of the Province's self-government abroad and co-operation in the area of the Wielkopolska Region's promotion on the international arena conducted by the Marshal Office.
The International Cooperation Bureau in particular:
- Undertakes initiatives aimed at undertaking cooperation between the Wielkopolska Region and regions of EU Member States and other selected regions of the world.
- Initiates, coordinates and monitors cooperation conducted by individual Departments of the Marshal Office within the area of initiatives strengthening European integration and foreign cooperation of the Wielkopolska Region.
- Conducts organisational and content-related supervision of preparation and organization of visits of foreign representatives of the Wielkopolska Region self-government and visits of representatives of partner self-governments and foreign institutions in Greater Poland.
- Cooperates with governmental administration and MPs, with social and political institutions, trade unions and non-governmental organisations in the area of regional promotion and international cooperation.
- Supports communes and districts of the Wielkopolska Region and social life institutions in establishing international cooperation.
- Prepares cooperation plans with partner regions of the Wielkopolska Region based on proposals presented by individual Departments of the Marshal Office.
- Prepares the Province's legal acts, which regulate its position in the international policy (in cooperation with appropriate ministries of the government of the Republic of Poland).
- Coordinates matters connected with Greater Poland's membership in international associations of regional communities and other forms of regional cooperation.
- Cooperates with national and international institutions and organisations, Polish diplomatic representations abroad and foreign representations in Poland.
- Cooperates in the area of activities connected with Greater Poland's promotion on the international arena conducted by the Office of the Marshal.