Marshal of the Wielkopolska Region
Born on March 5, 1960 in Kalisz.
Marek Woźniak graduated in archaeology from the Faculty of History at the Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań. He also completed a Postgraduate Programme in Local Government at the Faculty of Law at the Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań and a Postgraduate Programme in Local Government and Politics at the Faculty of Sociology at the Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań.
In 1990–1994, Marek Woźniak was the Secretary of the Suchy Las Municipality, and from 1994 acted as the plenipotentiary of the Poznań Voivode for the public procurement scheme and the chief editor of the Wielkopolska Public Procurement Bulletin. At that time, he cooperated as a lecturer with the Public Procurement Office in Warsaw.From 1998, Marek Woźniak managed the Regional Office in Poznań as the plenipotentiary for the establishment of the Poznański Poviat. At the same time, in 1994–1998, he was a Councillor of the Suchy Las Municipality. In 1998, he was nominated to the Council of the Poznański Poviat and the Board of the Poznański Poviat. From 2002 to October 2005, he was a Vice-Starost of the Poznański Poviat.
In October 2005, Marek Woźniak was appointed the Marshal of the Wielkopolska Region and has been in position for the last four terms. After the local government elections held in November 2014, he became a councillor of the 5th term of the Sejmik of the Wielkopolska Region representing the Civic Platform with the greatest number of votes from among all councillors (25,046).
From July 2006 to March 2007 and since October 2014 until June 2015, Marek Woźniak presided over the Convent of Marshals of Voivodeships of the Republic of Poland. Since February 2011, Marek Woźniak has acted as Vice-President of the Union of Voivodeships of the Republic of Poland.
Activity in the Committee of the Regions
Since February 2006, Marek Woźniak has been a Member of the European Committee of the Regions in Brussels. During the 2006–2010 term, he participated in the works of two Commissions: for Education, Youth, Culture and Research (EDUC) and for External Relations and Decentralised Cooperation (RELEX). Since April 2008, he has been appointed the head of the Polish delegation to the European Committee of the Regions (CoR) and a Vice-President and Member of the Bureau of the CoR.
In 2010, he was selected the Vice-President of the Commission for Territorial Cohesion Policy (COTER) and from September 2012 until the beginning of 2015 he acted as the President of this Commission. Moreover, Marek Woźniak attends the works of the Commission for Citizenship, Governance, Institutional and External Affairs (CIVEX), whose activity also encompasses the Eastern Partnership. On December 2010, he was nominated the Vice-President of the European People's Party (EPP) in the European Committee of the Regions.
Marshal Marek Woźniak is still a member of the COTER and CIVEX commissions.
In recognition of his public activity he has been awarded the following:
• "Commander's Cross of Polonia Restituta" by the President of the Republic of Poland,
• "Gold Cross of Merit" by the President of the Republic of Poland,
• "Ad Perpetuam Rei Memoriam" Medal by the Voivode of the Wielkopolska Region,
• "Grzegorz Palka Award" in the field of nationwide activity for regional, national and international achievements,
• "Rose of Franciszka Cegielska" awarded to the most distinguished persons in local government circles,
• Title of the "Most Admired Marshal of Voivodeship in 2009" by the Adam Smith Foundation,
• Honorary Badge of Merit for the Territorial Self-government by the Home Secretary,
• Honorary Badge of Merit "For Services to the City of Konin",
• Badge "For Services to the City of Kalisz",
• "Honorary Badge of Siberian Deportee".